4d virtual construction visualization logistics overview.

10 Year Retrospective | Healthcare Campus Expansion | Summer 2003.

No retrospective would be complete without acknowledging where Vinci LLC’s construction visualization began. This project was my second construction visualization engagement. I wasn’t aware at the time that I had already left the typical path of development of an architect.

This project was nearly completely rendered “by digital hand”, using Photoshop 5.5. I used a cute little program called AtLastSoftware’s SketchUp 3.0 to build a simple jig to get the column spacing correct in perspective. The project piqued the attention of a competing firm that actually won the bid. They called me in and thus began a decade of work with this national builder. One in attendance asked me, “Do you thing we might model all this construction?” I’d answered that it would be labor intensive and current capabilities just aren’t there. But we would eventually do this very thing repeatedly (see A8373, A8583) within only 5 years. This work equated to about 6 levels were it a Vinci LLC project, curiously aligning with the current time it would take to model everything using Vinci Digital Worksite™.

I owe a deep debt of gratitude to my mentors, including Mr. Dan Mitchell, Mr. Paul Wuennenberg, Mr. John Guenther, then all at Mackey Mitchell Architects. In these years on my own, Jay Reiter, Russ Wenzel, Rusty Smith, Erin Valentine, Kris Anderson, Mike McIntyre, Chris Peck, Norm Aidun, Bud Guest, Jim Contratto, John Heidbreder, Allan Jones, David Hough, Krista Matia, Bob Myer, Tom Fitch, Tyler Cormeny, Lauren Smith, Darryl Perrine, Mike Haarmann, and many more have taught me greatly and helped me keep a roof over my children’s heads. Without the repeated support of these people, there would be no convincing construction visualization made in St. Louis.

Thank you for reliving the last ten years of Convincing Construction Visualization! This is the end of the tour, but you can review what you’ve seen by visiting the navigation page, or by starting from the beginning. You can always use the navigation buttons above the feature picture.

This page last modified Monday 4 August 2014.